I think ^(link) therefore I err

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Women Alone

The NYTimes today has a front screen news story about a new statistic showing that
51% of Women Are Now Living Without Spouse
Big news? Who knows. I'm writing to complain about the tone of the story. Kind of like how the big newspapers will hear a Bush speech and then find everyone in a room they can interview who didn't like it. In this case we have the new statistic and then they interviewed everyone in a room who feels "trapped" in relationships.
after a divorce, are more likely than men to delay remarriage, sometimes delighting in their newfound freedom.
..........“I’m in a place in my life where I’m comfortable,” said Ms. Crenshaw, who has two grown sons. “I can do what I want, when I want, with whom I want. I was a wife and a mother. I don’t feel like I need to do that again.”
............“The benefits (of divorce)were completely unforeseen for me,” Ms. Fidler said, “the free time, the amount of time I get to spend with friends, the time I have alone, which I value tremendously, the flexibility in terms of work, travel and cultural events.”

You get the drift.
I am unmarried, so what do I know, but since I write about the war as a nonsoldier, I get to write about this too.

I have to say that I sincerely doubt most men these days in nonIslamist countries are trying to "enslave" their womenfolk. Good Lord ladies, if you're feeling that enslaved, figure out why! It probably has something to do with you! And the NYtimes? As expected the tone of your story is off base. You introduced the story as an interesting shift in demographics and how this will change how society views it's main institutions. However the tone is an anti-man screed with no suggestions about what this new vision of society will be.

Get me re-write!

ps and of course this does not apply to those of you who are truly brutalized. - most men don't do that!