I think ^(link) therefore I err

Monday, May 29, 2006

Memorial Day

Ben Stein at the American Spectator has a great tribute for this Memorial Day.
Your loved ones' lives had what we all want: meaning. The knowledge you were doing something big for others. That is EVERYTHING in life.

Amen.

And
Right Wing Nuthouse has a post that hit home after another little public outing of some of my opinions in direct opposition to those around me. Rick Moran notes that ...well, here's his quote:
Liberals really don't love their country as much as conservatives do. Because I don'’t care how old I was, if I thought for one second that a President, regardless of party, was trying to establish a dictatorship, I would be carrying out some kind of direct action even if I was alone. And that'’s the difference between liberals and conservatives; the left are intellectual cowards who don'’t have the guts to do what is necessary to act on their beliefs.


Well - I wouldn't define it quite that way, liberal vs conservative. But I would say that yes, if I really thought the President was ruining this country the way an anonymous friend did this weekend, I would be doing more than just complaining to everyone around me. I thought the run around congress that Reagan did was unconscionable. Yet I didn't think he was a dictator or that he was turning this country into Naziland. I rallied, I wrote a few letters, his time was up, he left and Bush I came in. He was fine. Clinton arrived and I awaited a time for my environmental hero Al Gore to come to power. I know, I know (I will always wonder what Gore would have been like without those 8 years within the smell of the Clinton administration.....) And Clinton....I didn't like him but I sure didn't think he was the devil. And now? I like Bush II. I really do and I trust he works to do what he believes in. I don't always agree, but he's no Hitler.
I have no problem arguing with people at parties, but geez, if you really think the guys is "the worst thing that could ever happen to this country", do more than wait for his "comeuppance" as I was told.

On this Memorial Day, thank you to those who have lost their own lives and thank you to those families who have lost your loved ones. Their lives mattered and we are grateful.