I think ^(link) therefore I err

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Iraq

Has their cabinet. I know we've all been holding our breath waiting for this to happen so hopefully they can manage to calm things down. So far it doesn't sound like it, but perhaps as these folks get used to holding power............. Call me optimistic.

In the meantime Iraq the Model has a post explaining a little about why they haven't been posting a whole lot recently. Besides the electricity situation, they are working with burnout. Take a rest guys! You've been working hard for years on your blog. And news burnout is common. (unless you're Powerline or someone.)

The good news? Omar can still see the light at the end of the tunnel.

One friend told me the other day that "Iraq is no longer a place for civilians like us, let politicians, militias and soldiers settle their accounts but I am leaving indefinitely". I don't know what to tell these people; I can't advise them to stay and risk their lives with all the violence happening around and I feel sorry they are leaving, sorry for them and for the country; it's never easy for them to leave the place where they were born and had lived their entire life to go start from zero in a place where they'll be total strangers and at it's not possible to build a country without people but at the same time, you can't help your country when you are dead or living in fear all the time.

This is the kind of dilemma unfortunately many Iraqis are facing these days and time is a very important factor here and Iraqi's are not sure whether it's on their side or on the enemy's…some people tell me they don't want to quit now that they endured so much and been through a lot. The other day I was with some friends at home and the subject eventually surfaced "let's just wait for another six months, I'm sure things will improve by then" one friend said and I nodded in agreement "I'm not willing to take the risk, what if I get killed or kidnapped tomorrow or next month!? I'm leaving Iraq to live somewhere else until I believe it's safe to return, we live only once guys!" and I nodded in agreement too.
Both opinions make a lot of sense and I could never say the first friend was a coward since he's still living through what I and the other friend are living through.

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and so do many people but they wonder if the tunnel is going to collapse before we reach its end.