I think ^(link) therefore I err

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Children in the US

Glen Reynolds writes a fun little ditty for the WSJ today in regards to people not having kids like they used to. Thank you to all of you with kids. Sorry I haven't done my part, but life just didn't work out that way.
o as we head into what looks like a major demographic debate, I think we need to look beyond subsidies and finances to culture. If people want to see Americans have more children, they should probably ignore Mr. Putin's advice, and they should definitely ignore Mr. Gibson's advice. They should look at ways of making parenting more rewarding, and less burdensome, in social as well as economic terms.

I think the stigma of having kids at 18-20 years old needs to go away too. It is definitely a rough row to hoe but right now kids are treated as if their lives are over if they end up pregnant at that age.