I think ^(link) therefore I err

Sunday, March 05, 2006

The Blog Devolution

By now you've probably heard of the blogosphere moving south. This will catch you up if not.

What cracks me up about all of these stories, is that they are coming from the MSM who, once again, gets it wrong. They have made the story out to be about themselves really. The numbers games in the blogosphere is not even close to the numbers games needed in the MSM. The MSM exists to make a buck. Just like any venture, it fulfills a need and hence makes that buck. Blogs are written for so many different reasons - sometimes to make a buck - that it's completely bogus to lump them all into the category of "people who, pie in the sky like, think they are going to make a living by writing a blog".

Someone wants to throw cash? Excellent. Someone wants to grace this blog with their presence? Excellent. Send me a comment? - Love them.

Site meters are great and interesting ways to keep track of what's going on with your blog, and frankly we're all a bunch a geeks in this 'verse, so numbers? Oooh - love the numbers.
(PC police: If you're not a geek and you're reading this, you might want to re-think that. I mean, I apologize, I didn't mean you.)

UPDATE: I took the dog for a walk and decided I wasn't clear. What I meant to say is that numbers are important to the MSM so it feels as if it's an important phenomenon that the numbers for blogs/blog readership has stabilized. It's isn't really. Blogs are still oftentimes very, very smart and on the next big thing, will be an important source of information. They are now - and "numbers" are saying that the people reading blogs and blogging are those who are involved. They are on boards, they run campaigns, they're lawyers. Or they're the involved people in the tech industry, or science fiction, or cooking or whatever type of blog it is. And still, the numbers stabilizing doesn't matter.